Popularly referred to as Dhakai Jamdani or just Dhakai, this art of textile weaving has its roots in the national capital, Bangladesh.
The main feature of Jamdani saree fabric is it is one of the finest kind of textile that’s hand-crafted from cotton, the art flourished underneath the Mughal patronage.
Even the name, Jamdani, is of Persian origin and comes from the word “jam” which means flower and “Dani” which means jar. The name is implicative the gorgeous floral motifs on these sarees.
HISTORY OF JAMDANI SAREES :
The name Jamdani is of Persian origin and is a powerfully implicative Mughal influence. it’s a compound word whereby “jam” suggests that flower and “Dani” suggests that jar.
Hence these sarees have floral motifs that adorn these gorgeous sarees. The Bengali version of the name, Dhakai, comes from the place of its origin Dhaka(national capital) in Bangladesh. From the time of the Mughal Empire, these sarees are known to be the finest form of muslin cotton.
Dated back to 3rd century BC! Jamdani saree has been an important part of Saree culture. Even Arab, Chinese and Italian, and traders came and took these sarees to their country. In this way, this saree has become world famous. Now, these sarees are loved by everyone because of its beautiful tapestry work.
Curiously, the earliest mention of Jamdani sarees is often found in Chanakya’s Arthashastra, qualitative analysis back to the third century BC.
Important mentions of Jamdani may also be found within the book of Periplus of the Erythraean ocean, besides the accounts of Arab, Chinese and Italian, and traders. Within half of the nineteenth century, James Taylor represented the floral Jamdani.
The late nineteenth century saw the Anglicization of nonmoving Indian ideas and consequently, Volunteer State Mukharji said this cloth as Jamdani textile.
Though Jamdani has enjoyed vast quality right from the start, the kind bloomed throughout the Mughal amount. However, the establishment by the British saw a decline within the production of this cloth.
Export of cheaper yarn from European countries within the nineteenth century was one among the first reasons for the decline of Jamdani. Also, with the decline of Mughal rule out Asian country, producers of Jamdani were bereft of their most influential patrons.
Villages like Madhurapur and Jangalbadi, once illustrious for the labyrinthine Jamdani trade, light into oblivion.
The creation of Jamdani involves the supplementary woof technique at the side of the quality woof technique.
With the latter, the bottom sheer material is formed on those thicker threads on wont to create styles.
Every of the supplementary woof motif is then further manually by interlinking the woof threads with fine bamboo sticks victimization individual spools.
This method leads to the colorful patterns that seem to float on a shimmering surface that could be a feature distinctive to Jamdani sarees.
Jamdani weaving is somewhat like tapestry work, wherever little shuttles of colored, gold or silver threads ar saw the woof. styles vary from the “butidar”, wherever the complete sari is scattered with floral sprays, to diagonally-striped floral sprays or the “tercha” and a network of floral motifs known as “jhalar”.
Today, however, value constraints have forced weavers to change their styles. the foremost exceptional a part of this system is that the pattern isn’t sketched or printed on the material.
Instead, it’s drawn on a clear paper and placed beneath the warp. the material isn’t simply restricted to sarees; scarves, handkerchiefs, and dupattas created out of this fine textile are very common.
The art of manufacturing this saree has come from Bangladesh. Despite all the and points, the variety has seen a decline because the weavers don’t realize the profession as appreciated any longer.
In an endeavor to revive this art, a Jamdani Palli has been established close to Dacca. Besides, organizations like bright Institute of style, Shanto Mariam University of artistic
Designer Gaurang monarch, one in all the pioneers to possess showcased the Jamdani weaves on the ramp, has worked extensively with this textile and aims at renewing the love for this lovely material not solely in the Republic of India, however everywhere the globe.
SPECIALTY OF JAMDANI SAREES :
- Jamdani saree is made up of extremely skillful weave that takes around a month to a year to complete. So these sarees are known as a luxurious piece of heritage.
- Jamdani saree is generally made up of high-quality cotton muslin fabric. It is thin, soft to touch, light-weighted and airy.
- These sarees are not plain and have some amazing ornamental motifs woven on itself. These motifs are generally woven with the help of thinker threads.
- Most of the Jamdani sarees have floral motifs in itself. Also, paisleys, diamond shapes, lotus, lamp, and fish motifs are very common.
- Also, the authentic Jamdani sarees don’t cost too low. So judge its quality by its price.
- Jamdani weaving is long and labor-intensive owing to the richness of its motifs, that area unit created directly on the loom mistreatment the discontinuous filling technique. Threads of gold and silver area unit typically woven along with these sarees to make a spread of patterns and motifs on brocade loom.
- It’s the supplementary filling technique alongside the quality filling technique. This creates a fine, sheer material whereas the supplementary filling with thicker threads adds the tortuous patterns thereto. Every of the supplementary filling motif is manually extra by interlocking the filling threads with fine bamboo sticks mistreatment individual spools. It provides associate degree illusion of the styles floating on a shimmering surface, a characteristic of Jamdani weaves.
- Jamdani sarees measure manufactured from top quality cotton textile that is extremely skinny and soft, creating the dress flash and ethereal.
- Jamdani sarees are defined by obvious decorative motifs woven onto the material. These complex motifs in the thicker thread appear to float on the surface of the ultra-fine material.
- Floral motifs are nearly always gifting on Jamdani sarees. You’ll realize paisleys, diamond shapes also as lotus, lamp, fish, etc looking on wherever the dress is factory-made.
- A Dhakai Jamdani, however, takes a minimum of 9 months to weave. So, if you don’t own a Jamdani dress nevertheless, there’s no higher time to take a position during this piece of heritage.
POPULAR TYPES OF JAMDANI SAREES :
A Jamdani dress will be categorized by the variations that every region offers. Dhakai Jamdani dress may take anyplace between 9 months and a year to weave.
The Tangail Jamdani is woven within the Tangail district of Bangladesh. Historically, these Jamdani sarees have broad borders that include lotus, lamp and scale motifs.
The Shantipur Jamdani from Shantipur, West Bengal is comparable to Tangail Jamdanis. They need a fine texture and these sarees area unit usually adorned with elegant stripy motifs.
The Dhaniakhali version of Jamdani includes a tighter weave as compared to the Tangail and Shantipur varieties.
With its roots in the geographical area, most Jamdani sarees have motifs that area unit in an elaborate way related to Bengali culture. Many times the pallu tells a preferred tale or could be a picturing of straightforward village life
LATEST JAMDANI SAREES DESIGN :
Whether you’re meeting your friends for a fun brunch or attending a company event, Jamdani Sarees can cause you to stand apart within the crowd.
Explore Jamdani sarees in an exceedingly large choice of patterns like Zari, Resham and Abstract Prints obtainable in an exceedingly wide spectrum of colors. Designer Jamdani silk sarees also are common as wedding wear sarees.
Jamdani sarees are woven in top quality fabric materials. Silk and cotton threads also are wont to cater to completely different sections of patrons.
They create use of authentic gold and silver Zari that add shine to the frock. Here are few latest designs on Jamdani Sarees:
- Handloom Jamdani Saree
- Muslin Jamdani Saree
- Net Jamdani Saree
- Tussar Jamdani Saree
- Tant Jamdani Saree
- Bangladeshi Jamdani Saree
- Muslin Silk Jamdani Saree
- Uppada Jamdani Saree
- Yellow Jamdani Saree
- Red Jamdani Saree
- Red And White Cotton Jamdani Saree
- Colors Of Bengal Jamdani Cotton Silk Saree
- Pure Silk Red And Gold Jamdani Saree
- Navy Blue Cotton Silk Jamdani Saree
- Blue And White Thread Work Jamdani Saree
- White And Blue Translucent Jamdani Cotton Saree
PRICE OF JAMDANI SAREES :
The simplest of cotton Jamdani sarees cost nearly 500.The costs vary looking on the utilization of silk thread, the work, zari and complexness of the work. A bridal Jamdani will price anyplace between INR 8,000 and INR 10,000.
JAMDANI SAREES PRICE (RS)
White & Pink vegetable silk woven style Jamdani Saree Rs. 3959
Lavender woven style Jamdani loom Saree Rs. 4399
Rust Red & Beige vegetable silk woven style Jamdani loom Saree Rs. 4179
Yellow woven style Jamdani ancient loom Saree Rs. 3629
Chhabra 555 Beige & Red vegetable silk Solid Jamdani Saree Rs. 1120
Blue vegetable silk is woven style Jamdani Saree Rs. 3959
Chhabra 555 Mustard & Yellow vegetable silk Solid Jamdani Saree Rs. 1120
Orange & Maroon woven style Jamdani loom Saree Rs. 3518
Off-White & Red vegetable silk woven style Jamdani loom Saree Rs. 3509